Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: Poll: What final format will your Super 8mm projec

  1. #21
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Any new voters who haven't voted before?

    -Alex

    ------------------

  2. #22
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I voted, but I don't feel accurately represented.
    You need to let users select multiple choices, not just one.
    The 4 you listed are NOT mutually exclusive.
    For instance, I am shooting S8 silent, syncing up audio separately, AND transferring digitally, AND I'm going to later render those digital files out to 35mm negative!
    So I would have voted selections 2-4 if I were able, which would be accurate.

    By the way, I find it hysterical that the same number of people are claiming to shoot on sound film, as there are shooting on silent.
    Since the IS NO SILENT FILM, that tells me that there are many clueless people voting on this board, or at least hopeless dreamers, who have not faced the reality that we now have to shoot like the big boys do on 16mm & 35mm projects: shoot silent, record audio on a separate recorder, & sync it up in post.
    ( I know, there are like 50 sound cartridges floating around out there somewhere all over the world, that are a couple years (at least) past their expiration date, and each one of you is somehow going to miraculously get all those rolls, shoot with them, then find someone who will develop the stuff for you..... Right!)


    Matt Pacini

    ------------------

  3. #23
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Little known bit of trivia.

    Refrigerators were specifically invented to store our Super-8 Sound Film!

    I bet there still are a few thousand rolls of the Super-8 Sound Film still floating around.

    -Alex



    ------------------


    [This message has been edited by Alex (edited August 23, 2001).]

  4. #24
    Inactive Member mattias's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 1999
    Posts
    335
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    > I am shooting S8 silent, syncing up audio separately, AND transferring digitally, AND I'm going to later render those digital files out to 35mm negative!

    then the only accurate vote for you would be "blow up," since the poll is about final format.

    > I find it hysterical that the same number of people are claiming to shoot on sound film, as there are shooting on silent.

    where on earth did you read that? the poll was (still) about final format, and having a striped projecting copy in no way implies you shot on sound film. and 18% is still pretty far from 50%, so i really don't see what you mean...

    /matt

  5. #25
    Inactive Member Svideo925's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 2001
    Posts
    15
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    i just voted

    ------------------

  6. #26
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    [QUOTE]Originally posted by mattias:
    "then the only accurate vote for you would be "blow up," since the poll is about final format."

    (Matt Pacini responds):
    Wrong answer! A Blow up is a direct optical copy from Super 8 to 35mm (or 16mm), which is NOT what I'm doing. That is different from rendering digitally. And besides, this is not the only thing I'm doing, if you've read some of my posts, I'm also going to videotape as well.

    > I find it hysterical that the same number of people are claiming to shoot on sound film, as there are shooting on silent.

    [QUOTE]Originally posted by mattias:

    where on earth did you read that? the poll was (still) about final format, and having a striped projecting copy in no way implies you shot on sound film. and 18% is still pretty far from 50%, so i really don't see what you mean...

    (Matt Pacini responds):
    Where on earth are you getting a Super 8 print made WITH a sound stipe?
    When I voted, the number was 50%.
    I'm not sure what it is now...


    As far as the question being ONLY about the final format (and not the process) then do you think he's implying that people are playing their film with a synced separate audio source playing in real time?

    I would assume he means as part of the process...
    It's just an unclear poll for those of us who are doing all sorts of different things, that's all.

    Matt Pacini

    ------------------

  7. #27
    Inactive Member mattias's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 1999
    Posts
    335
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    > A Blow up is a direct optical copy from Super 8 to 35mm

    no. it's still called a blow up even if you use some kind of intermediate, like video. a lot of people even call scanning of video originated stuff to film a blow up.

    > I'm also going to videotape as well.

    yes, that complicates things. but why don't you just vote twice then?

    > Where on earth are you getting a Super 8 print made WITH a sound stipe?

    most super 8 labs provide this service.

    > When I voted, the number was 50%
    i don't believe you. a huge majority has claimed to finish on video ever since the poll started.

    > do you think he's implying that people are playing their film with a synced separate audio source playing in real time?

    yes, of course. why?

    /matt

  8. #28
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    [QUOTE]Originally posted by mattias:
    [B]>
    (Me smile> do you think he's implying that people are playing their film with a synced separate audio source playing in real time?

    yes, of course. why?

    (Matt Pacini responds):
    Because that's ridiculous, that's why!
    Who (and how) is syncing separate projector and audio devices upon playback of Super 8?
    Please state the EXACT equipment that you would use to do this, and who have you seen do it!

    Matt Pacini



    ------------------

  9. #29
    Inactive Member mattias's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 1999
    Posts
    335
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    that's why we have pilotone (one of the reasons). the exact equipment used is a pilotone to digital converter between the tape recorder and the projector during playback, and a digital to pilotone converter for the camera during filming. this stuff could be bought off the shelf back in the days and is still common among enthusiasts. somebody even built a computer setup to handle this, but i can't find the place were i read about it (anyone?). search here and on usenet, especially for the name #pedro. man, i can't believe you can be this stubborn when you haven't even done your homework...

    /matt

    ------------------

  10. #30
    Inactive Member mattias's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 3rd, 1999
    Posts
    335
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    the other way would be to use fullcoat and an interlock projector. i've seen one, but never at work, and i don't think you can buy fullcoat anymore.

    oh, and as far as who i've seen done "it", i've actually done it myself. i didn't know it at the time, but my grandfather had a setup like this that we used when i was a kid in the late 70's and early 80's. :-)

    /matt

    ------------------

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •